When you are making a seed list as the first step in your keyword research, it is important to know what you want to achieve. Many articles suggest that brainstorming is a very important source to gather keywords. I think it is an inefficient method, because it takes a too much time, but it offers other advantages.
Here you can see the video where I explain how to do keyword brainstorming. You can also see the parts under each chapter in the article.
I suggest you use keyword brainstorming to:
- Get keywords of your mind
- Create a list to use with the other techniques
- Think of angels and demands you need to cover
Let’s start by getting the keywords of you mind. I usually set some rules to limit the time use to brainstorm:
- Stop when you have 10-20 seconds without a new keyword pops out of your mind
- Don’t start combining the words you already have written
- Don’t censure what you write (you can do that after you are finish)
If I was brainstorming about our keyword tool I would open a new text document and start writing:
Keywords about keyword tool:
keyword suggestion tool
keyword sorting tool
Problem solving keywords:
How to find keywords for PPC
How to rank in Google
Tips for improving ROI in Adwords
I use a maximum of 10 minutes and I never ask clients to use their time to brainstorm and send me the results. It helps me to clean my mind and by keeping the document open I can always write new keyword ideas down.
I use a maximum of 10 minutes and I never ask clients to use their time to brainstorm and send me the results. It helps me to clean my mind and by keeping the document open I write new keyword ideas.
Now you have offloaded your mind, it is time to get into the customers brain by answering:
- Who will search for your product?
- What tasks will they be doing that needs your help (what itch would you help scratch?)?
- Where will they be searching from?
- Which kind of demand would other keywords researchers be overlooking?
Let’s try the more advances brainstorming for the keyword tool.
Who will search for the keyword tool:
- People that are interested in the online demand for a subject
- People that are starting or improving their PPC campaigns
- People that are having a structural approach to SEO
What tasks will the keyword tool be helping:
- To sort, structure and update keyword lists using an efficient method
- Keyword research with emphasize on long tail
- Improving SEM and SEO
- Get related keywords from Google without importing thousand of spread sheets
- Split a keyword list into more target keyword lists
Where would people be searching from, when searching for a keyword tool:
- From a computer while doing a keyword research related tasks
- From a mobil device researching information about keyword research
Which kind of demand would other keyword researchers be overlooking?
- The keyword tool could be used to make keyword research, that could be included as a part of a general marked research report
- Domainers, copywriters and other that like to be in zing with what people are looking for when they buy domains, find names and write ads.
I hope you will get at least one revelation doing the brainstorming and get your mind more focus.
In terms of efficiency it is faster to find keywords though:
- The keywords people are using to find your site
- The keywords people are using searching on your site
- Keyword lists you find on the internet
- Related keywords to the keyword you already identified
- Search terms from Adwords
So don’t overdue your brainstorming.
What do you think is important when brainstorming as a part of doing a seed keyword list?